We are committed to protecting the environment for present and future generations and work to avoid, minimise and mitigate any negative environmental impacts where we operate. We aim to improve lives through responsible environmental practices including verifiable compliance, risk management and environmental and water footprint management in anticipation of post-mining socio-economic closure.
Our approach to nature and the environment is multifaceted. We acknowledge that our business involves the exploitation of natural capital to create value and are committed to minimising environmental degradation and to being stewards for natural capital.
Our environmental commitments include:
- Building a portfolio of green metals
- Active participation in the circular economy through recycling
- Pursuing carbon neutrality
- Sustainably managing our water use
- Promoting biodiversity
- Driving responsible waste management practices
- Rehabilitating affected land in accordance with stakeholder aligned closure plans
- Global best practice in tailings management
- Celebrating our rich cultural heritage
Sibanye-Stillwater has a fundamental role to play in addressing the global warming crisis from an operational perspective. It is in this context that Sibanye-Stillwater has committed, in support of the Paris Climate Agreement and the SDGs, to transition to carbon neutrality by 2040. Our goal is underpinned by our energy and decarbonisation strategy and associated implementation plan that is both clear and achievable.